Sickness and absenteeism costs businesses money and time and impacts the productivity and morale within a team. Balancing the health and welfare needs of staff and understanding the reasons whilst providing a framework to support or action is key.
Who is it for?
This one-day course is designed to provide managers with the skills and confidence required to deal effectively with employee absence, while maintaining a positive and productive working environment. The training is aimed at line managers and supervisors who are involved in the management of sickness absence in their teams.
- Understanding the impact of absence
- Communication of absence through policy and procedures
- Types of absence and difference of approach
- Notification process and certification
- Absence management and the legal framework
- Dealing with short term sickness absence and setting triggers
- Considering workplace factors
- Stress and mental health in the workplace
- Conducting return to work interviews
- Managing long term absence
- Achieving focused medical reports
- Taking further action through disciplinary or capability
- Providing support to ensure employee health and wellbeing
By completing this workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Set objective criteria against which candidates can be measured
- Use a range of questioning styles to determine a candidate’s suitability for the job
- Be aware of how body language can influence a candidate’s behaviour
- State the importance of equal opportunity issues when applied to the conduct of interviews
- Recite the principals of, and be able to give, quality feedback to successful and unsuccessful candidates
- Produce an action plan for implementation back in the workplace